Beanstalk is a trading name of KidStart Limited who is listed on the Information Commissioner's Register under DPA registration number Z1168761. You have the right to access the personal information KidStart may hold about you which you can do so by submitting a request in writing to our registered address: KidStart Limited, 10 Plato Place, 72-74 St Dionis Road, London SW6 4TU. KidStart's Data Protection Officer, who holds ultimate responsibility for the security and privacy of your data, is the Managing Director.
Information you give us
When you register and use the Beanstalk app, Beanstalk gifting and / or the Beanstalk website, the information you give to us could include:
- Identity and contact data such as your and your children’s names, dates of birth, addresses, email address, phone numbers and national insurance numbers;
- Financial data such as your bank account number and sort code;
- If you use our round up tool, Transaction data such as details of purchases (amount spent, retailer, date), details of credits or other similar data on your bank account. Our round up tool uses the government’s open banking initiative to allow you to give (and manage) your consent directly with your bank to share this information with us. We are a PSD agent of Bud (Bud Financial Limited) who are an FCA regulated account information services provider. Bud manage the consent and collection of your data and you will be asked to accept their terms during the consent process.
- Other personal data such as information on your usage of the app, your usage of the KidStart shopping service such as retailers visited and purchases made, and technical information such as your device type, browser information, device ID and IP address.
Where data is anonymised through the removal of information that personally identifies you, it is no longer considered personal data and we may use this data in aggregate for any purpose.
Our use of your information
We only use your information when the law allows us to do so. We use the information you provide for the following purposes:
- To meet our contractual commitments to you, for example, to set up and manage your Beanstalk account, process direct debit payments, collect fees and report to HMRC;
- To meet our regulatory obligations such as confirming your identify under anti-money-laundering legislation;
- To send you confirmations of instructions (such as changes to contributions or linked bank account) you have given us through the app and to manage your invitations and links to other Beanstalk users’ accounts;
- To send you statements and transaction confirmations and other notifications required under financial regulations;
- To notify you about any changes to our website and services, such as updates to terms and conditions, improvements or service changes;
- To provide you with information related to our services and to provide information on our partners and their products that might be of interest to you;
- To use data analytics and information on your usage of Beanstalk to improve our app, website, services and marketing and to suggest new ways you can use Beanstalk.
By using the Beanstalk app, Beanstalk gifting or website, opening a Beanstalk account or using any of the Beanstalk services, you consent to our processing your personal information in accordance with the requirements of the General Data Protection Regulation.
We do not rely on consent as a legal basis for processing your personal data where we use the data to meet our contractual obligations to you and / or regulatory requirements. However you may at any point:
- Withdraw your consent through the app settings to receiving email newsletters and / or app notifications although we will continue to send you communications where required by regulations, for security purposes or to notify you of changes made to your account;
- Withdraw your open banking consent in relation to the round up tool. We will then no longer have access to new transaction information so you will be unable to use this service.
You can close your Beanstalk account by contacting us and closing or transferring out any ISA/JISAs as permitted under our terms. In this case, we will only keep personal data for as long as required to satisfy any ongoing regulatory or reporting requirements.
Sharing your data
KidStart does not share, sell or otherwise transfer out of its control your personal data, except in the following situations:
- When you register with Beanstalk or open a Beanstalk account, we may pass your personal information to third parties appointed by us for the purpose of verifying your identity or when requested to do so by regulators to comply with legal and regulatory requirements.
- If you open a Beanstalk account or are making contributions to one, we will pass your personal information to our platform provider, Third Platform Services Limited (“TPS”), who has been appointed by us to provide platform services (including dealing, safe custody, client money management, settlement and post-execution services) in respect of your investments or cash contributions made through the Beanstalk service.
- TPS will only use your personal information for these purposes but may disclose your information to their agents and service providers to meet their contractual obligations. They may also disclose your information to third parties where required in order to comply with legal and regulatory requirements but in all other circumstances they will not pass on your information to any other third party without your permission.
- To Fastpay Limited to facilitate direct debits.
- If you use round ups, to Bud to facilitate the round up tool.
- When you have given us specific consent to share your data with a third party.
- Where you tell us about a problem with a missing KidStart transaction, we may need to disclose some personal data such as your name and transaction details with the retailer in question to help us resolve your query. In such circumstances your enquiry will be pursued on the basis that you consent to a necessary and sufficient disclosure of your personal data to achieve a resolution when you make the enquiry.
Beanstalk uses the Kochava SDK provided by Kochava Inc as a data processor to monitor effectiveness of different marketing activities. Device specific information such as the hardware model, operating system and version, unique device identifiers and data about usage of our services may be shared with Kochava for them to process anonymously on our behalf.
We require third parties to respect the security of your information and to treat it lawfully. We do not allow third parties to use your personal data for their own purposes and require them to process your data for specified purposes only.
Storing your information
Information you enter on our website and app is transmitted to us encrypted within secure webpages using SSL technology. Personal data stored in our systems is encrypted and subject to appropriate access controls.
You can help us maintain your security by never sharing your email, pin or password with anyone else. If these are shared, please contact us immediately by email.
You retain all rights over your personal information, and in accordance with law may at any time ask Beanstalk to correct any errors, to provide you with a copy of the personal information we hold about you, or to remove your personal information from our systems. If you have a Beanstalk account and ask us to remove your personal information, we will meet your request as far as possible but we will be legally required to retain some personal information so that you can continue to access your investments and receive notifications about them until such point as you close your accounts.
You should appreciate that in any event we will need to retain your email address in order (and only in order) to deal with any final account enquiries that may arise, to help with any security issues that may arise, and to maintain an unsubscribe list so that – if that is your choice – you receive no further communications from us.
We will only keep your personal data for as long as is necessary to fulfil the purposes for which the data was collected.
A cookie is a small file that a website transfers to the cookies folder for the browser on your computer. The browser saves the information and sends it back to the website whenever the browser returns to the website.
Sometimes certain third parties may set a cookie using a script linked to from our website. The third parties we have links with are:
- Facebook – to enable users who have connected their KidStart and Facebook accounts to log in with their Facebook ID and to provide them with relevant content.
- Youtube – who host the embedded video on our home page.
- Google Doubleclick – occasionally we serve targeted advertisements using Google’s Doubleclick technology.
In each of the above cases, no personal information about you is stored with either us or the third party website.
By using Beanstalk, you consent to the processing of data about you by Google in the manner and for the purposes set out above.
Terms of access
These terms apply to all users of the Beanstalk app and website and by using them you agree you have read and accepted these terms.
The Beanstalk app and website are made available for use in connection with your use of the Beanstalk service. You may retrieve and display Beanstalk URL links and pages on a computer or mobile screen and may print individual pages and store pages for your personal, non-commercial use. Any other use of Beanstalk materials such as copying URL links or content onto another website or use of the pages, app or KidStart retailer links for anything other than your personal, non-commercial use is prohibited without our prior written permission. The intellectual property in all design, graphics, text and other material and its arrangement in Beanstalk and KidStart is owned by us and our respective licensors.
Beanstalk and KidStart provide links to other websites beyond our control. The links to other websites are there for your convenience and we are not responsible for and do not give any warranties or make any representations regarding such websites. We are not responsible for or liable in relation to the content or security of these sites (other than to the extent required by law).
Beanstalk makes reasonable endeavours to ensure reliability of the information presented on the app and website, but makes no warranties or representations whatsoever as to its accuracy or reliability. Similarly, due to the nature of the internet, we do not guarantee that the Beanstalk will be available on an uninterrupted and error free basis.
KidStart is a participant in the Amazon Europe S.à r.l. Associates Programme, an affiliate advertising programme designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.co.uk